The Pink Panther (1963)

Today's movie of the day = The Pink Panther (1963). I was surprised that I don't believe I've ever seen this one. I'm starting a Pink Panther marathon (and leaving out Son of and the Steve Martin remake).

What to say about this first one? I don't know. I didn't care for it. One of the big reasons I love the other Pink Panther films is that there was a realization that Peter Sellers made the movies great. His slapstick and vaudevillian caricature of Inspector Clouseau made me want to watch and laugh at more of his antics. This first film didn't quite grasp what they had with him so he was really only in the film for about twenty minutes or less. It's a crying shame.

As for the story. Yeesh. It's all over the place! They were trying to be clever and make it a big mystery to be solved but in the process of doing so they left out the key ingredient, the mystery! Instead it just fell to happenstance most of the time.

Another thing is that they made Clouseau just dumb. He's a clumsy oaf in the future films but he's not straight up dumb. He may get to conclusions a little late but he's not an idiot. This one made him like that which I didn't like.

I'm very disappointed in this first one as I know they get so much better. Yes, they get sillier, but at the same time the stories make more sense than this one.

In the big picture of Pink Panther films I can't recommend this one, BUT, as a Peter Sellers fan, I also HAVE to recommend this one at it establishes his character. Take that for what you may.

Comments