The Mouse That Roared (1959)

Today's movie of the day = The Mouse That Roared. It's based on a book by Leonard Wibberly.

This one was a pleasant surprise. It is a satire that reminded me a bit of Dr. Strangelove in a way (not just because of the Sellers connection). Peter Sellers plays three roles in this one and is tame compared to his Clouseau character.

The story is about a tiny country whose big source of income is a favored wine. When the United States starts producing a cheaper knockoff of the wine, the small country is in financial straits. To fix the problem, they decide to declare war on the United States.

I didn't know what to expect going into this but it was fun. It had the comedy but it was more about that political craziness that was laid out with the best intentions but didn't quite turn out the way it was expected. Sellers did great in his roles but the supporting cast also had some fun dialogue.

Yes, I'd recommend this one without hesitation. It's one of those movies I'm kinda bummed that I didn't pay attention to sooner as I really enjoyed it.

Comments