The Hateful Eight (2015)

Today's movie of the day = The Hateful Eight. My next to last Tarantino one for the marathon.

C'mon Tarantino, you're killing me! Almost a three-hour runtime on this one. I will say that it mostly flowed but then I was informed that there is a four-part extended cut on Netflix and it scared me. This one was already plenty long, what else could they put in it!?

The story takes place almost entirely in a cabin in Wyoming which is in the middle of facing a nasty blizzard. The story starts with Kurt Russell, Samuel L. Jackson, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Walton Goggins. They get to the cabin pretty quick though so it's almost all from that locale. Eight supposed strangers have their night unfold and it's part mystery, part intrigue, and part Western.

Another one where Tarantino was on point. He moved along his directing route and it's great to see him improve his craft (almost) all of the time. He has an eye for what needs to be said and acted and he gets the best out of his actors. Actually, I did find Kurt Russell to be the weak link this time around as he just did his John Wayne impersonation.

The story was interesting and it was cool seeing it from the single location. The story moved along and at one point I was completely surprised by one twist. The ending may be controversial but I was OK with it.

Yes, I'll recommend this one, even with the long runtime. Keep in mind, if you don't like cursing and violence, it's not for you.

Comments