Severance Season One Review

OK, I'll start by saying this is Lisa and my favorite new show in a long time. It is an AppleTV+ original so right now you can only see it there (but there is now enough excellent content on the platform that the low monthly price is worth it).

Now, how to explain what the show is about is a more difficult matter. The general idea is that there is a new way of working, called Severance. The two parts of your life are work and home and they are completely isolated from each other. So, when you finish the work day your brain clicks over to home life and visa versa. The two never intersect.

The show features (and was written by) Adam Scott, John Turturro, Christopher Walken, and Patricia Arquette. Each give it their all and it makes the show have a level of professionalism behind it.

Now, why is the show so good? It keeps you guessing and it keeps you on your toes. You are never 100% sure what's going on but, in this case, it fits the show so well that this lack of knowledge is a good thing. I know I was throwing out a ton of ideas about what it all means and I don't know if I ever got them right. It COULD go so many ways but it's so incredibly unique that it doesn't fit any mold. This is where the show absolutely shines.

What Lisa and I didn't realize, watching episode nine last night, is that it was the season finale. The episode kept ratcheting up the tension and then left us with one helluva cliffhanger! We were both audibly grunting and sitting on the edge of our seats! Now we have to wait for season two and it's going to be painful to wait that long!!!

I haven't had this much praise for a show in awhile. There are so many different theories going around. I've thrown out ideas of a post-apocalyptic world, purgatory, a science experiment, and so many others that I don't even know what my guess is anymore. Again, this is a good thing! The mystery is a big draw and it's done so well that what you think is happening might not be what is really happening.

If you couldn't tell, I'm definitely recommending this one. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but if you want a show that keeps you guessing, then you must see this one!

Comments