Predator (1987)

Today's blockbuster of the day = Predator. I was debating how to start these two weeks out and Predator showed up on iTunes (I already own it, of course) so it was time to revisit this one, once again.

This is one of those films I've seen many times. I can quote the majority of it line for line. It was at the height of Schwarzenegger popularity but, even better, it introduced us to a Predator of like none we had seen before.

I'll give the quick bit about something I noticed this time that I hadn't before but then I'll go right back into praising it. The sound editing. It's particularly bad in the guerilla camp. Things weren't matching up, volume levels were up and down, and it was clear some dialogue was recorded in a studio.

Now, back to the praise. One of the reasons this one works is the crew who were cast. They play well with each other and even the ones who we hadn't seen in other films fit in.

But let's get to the big draw, the Predator. The design, costuming, and practical effects made him seem more 'real'. Because of this, his menace level was high and you get to put yourself into the stress of Dutch when trying to evade him.

Pretty much only the second film ever did a good job keeping up with this one and even then, just barely.

Yes, I'll always recommend this film. I love it. It will also lead me into tomorrow's blockbuster, Aliens.

P.S. The soundtrack on this film was also pretty awesome.

Comments