Lolita (1962)

Today's movie of the day = Lolita (1962). This one is directed by one of my favorites, Stanley Kubrick. I had not seen this one before because the content is so taboo and it just felt creepy to me. Thankfully, I had the excuse to watch it due to my Peter Sellers marathon as he plays Clare Quilty. It also stars James Mason and Shelly Winters.

This was yet another pleasant surprise. The content is still taboo but it was done in a way that didn't sexualize a young lady (at least in the way I expected). Instead, it was about one man's decent into madness as he obsesses over her. In this manner, the film felt like a mix between Citizen Kane and Apocalypse Now. At some points in the film I started wondering if the paranoia was imagined or real.

The film is about a middle-aged man (probably in his 40s) who ends up renting a room from a widower with a teenage daughter. It is clear from the start that one of the reasons he decides to rent the room is the daughter is attractive. So begins an unhealthy relationship that escalates into an unhealthy obsession.

I thought it would be much more about making the young girl prance around in revealing clothing and flirting but it was more than that. Instead, as a viewer we can see she is a manipulative teen and she does use her feminine wiles to get what she wants. Meanwhile she reels in the boys to do so.

This film was one that I watched for Sellers, who did a great job, but turned out to be much better than I expected. It's got the creep factor but it is more about the relationship between Lolita and James Mason's character, Humbert.

Yes, I'll recommend this one. Don't get caught up on the idea of the taboo like I did as I should have seen this one far sooner than I did because of me falling prey to this.

Comments