Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)

Today's movie of the day = Kill Bill: Vol. 1. Continuing my Quentin Tarantino films with this one which I've seen before.

I will say one thing for this film, it was way better the second time. I enjoyed it the first time but this one just ratcheted up the list to #1 of his films right now. Keep in mind, I still have about six films to go with some solid choices but I liked Kill Bill, Vol. 1 so much this time that it will be tough to beat.

The main reason I got so much more out of it this time is that I did my Akira Kurosawa marathon a few months ago and it made me appreciate the story and craftsmanship Tarantino brought. It very much feels like it is a modern day traumatic tale about the Bride and her insatiable need for revenge.

The story is simple, a pregnant bride gets gunned down, along with the entire wedding party, on her wedding day. She survives, however, and seeks revenge on everyone who participated in the slaughter. There is more to it but really, that's the core of it.

I remember being impressed with the big fight scene at the end and am even more so now. It had so many moving parts that the technical behind it is crazy!

The music elevated the film. I remember it from the first time around but the entire soundtrack just gave it more oomph! Tarantino always uses great music choices but this one was more fluid than his other films

Yes, the film is violent. Yes, it's over the top in some scenes. The big thing is, however, is that it feels like a Kurosawa film because of this, which says a lot for his goal being met.

If you couldn't tell, yes, I'm definitely recommending this one.

P.S. I will not have the same level of enthusiasm for the second film, sadly

P.S.S. Kill Bill, Vol. 3 is supposed to be in pre-production now.

Comments