Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

Today's movie of the day = Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. I have seen this one a few times before but I enjoy it every time. If I've watched it multiple times ya know I'm going to recommend it. :)

This satire, starring Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Sterling Hayden, and Slim Pickens, and was directed by Stanley Kubrick. It also has James Earl Jones in his first film role.

The story is about an Air Force Captain who, due to a series of poor decisions by the President, has the ability to launch a nuclear attack against Russia. The President is informed of this and calls a meeting in the War Room to figure out how to stop it.

Peter Sellers does great in three different roles including a British Captain, the President, and the German Dr. Strangelove. This is also one of my favorite performances from George C. Scott. Slim Pickens has some of the best lines as the country boy pilot of a bomber.

The thing about this film is it is meant to show the stupidity of the idea behind a nuclear weapon gap which haunted us during the Cold War. It's kinda like the idea of 'keeping up with the Joneses' in that if they have one, we need one. It also shows the idiocy of how perception is key to how things progress. One scene, with Scott, talks about 'acceptable losses' and you just have to roll your eyes.

I've always enjoyed this film and I think this might be my fourth time watching it. It is fun, in this Sellers marathon, to really see that he did have acting chops and wasn't just the goofball Clouseau all of the time.

If you couldn't guess, yes, I'll recommend this one with no catches. If anything, it plays well into current events (and has for years).

Comments