Aliens (1986)

Today's blockbuster of the day = Aliens. This time around I watched the 1990 director's cut which I had not done before. It added about seventeen minutes to the film.

This is one of those films that shows Cameron was king back in the mid 80s and early 90s. He'll also have three of the films in my blockbuster marathon (the other two will be T2 and The Abyss). He just 'got' action. I have attested, for years, that Alien is one of the best horror films while Aliens is one of the best action films.

The story follows the events of Alien but 57 years later. Ripley's ship is found floating in space and she is brought out of hyper sleep. It turns out there is now a small colony on LV-426 who have started terraforming the planet. The colony has not been responding so they send a marine force and Ripley to find out what's going on. Alien hijinks ensue.

One of the things about this film is that the scenes build in intensity. I've seen this one many times and it is still an edge of the seat action film. The third act is just intense from beginning to end. It's also another film I can quote in practically every scene.

The director's cut did add a little bit the scenes weren't 100% necessary. It showed the colonists and Newt before they find the alien eggs. The other thing is it establishes that Ripley had a daughter before her initial journey on the Nostromo which adds a bit to her drive to keep Newt alive. It was good to see the extras but the regular film is a little tighter so I'll probably stick with that in the future.

One thing I did realize during this viewing which I hadn't before? The xenomorphs are actually fairly intelligent. They learn from their past attacks and adapt. They also know how to corral the humans.

If you couldn't tell, I'll always recommend this film. It's a great one!

Comments