Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

Today's second movie of the day = Top Gun: Maverick. I mostly went into this one because people are losing their poop over it.

I'll preface this review by saying that it is definitely a theater experience. The imagery and sound are worth it alone. From the first revving of a jet engine the floors and seats shook and it felt immersive. I'd actually recommend D-box or IMAX as I saw it in a regular theater and think it would be even better on the bigger screen.

The film continues thirty years after the original. With that, time has changed the playing field. There are still the same types of Top Gun pilots with similar personalities to the first one so I guess they haven't changed much. And Maverick is still Maverick, just aged.

I do have two complaints about it, however. Without spoiling anything, there are two big plot points that I feel were matters of convenience than anything else. One of them is a gaping hole, IMHO. My two complaints are based on this idea but at two different points in the film.

I will say that, as anything other than eye candy, Jennifer Connelly's character could be completely removed from the film and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. Her character did not move the story forward at all.

All this being said, this is a fantastic film to kick off the summer! I get more hesitant when a film comes back purely because Hollywood is in a nostalgia trip, but this one managed to find the balance and it stood on its own. There was no need to know about the first film to have enjoyment with this one.

Yes, I'll certainly recommend it but do what you can to see it in the theater as the experience is worth it.

P.S. I joked I was going to walk out if there wasn't a Kenny Loggins song. I started the whole film...'nuff said

P.S.S. there are no after credit scenes

Comments