The Quick and the Dead (1995)

Today's second movie of the day = The Quick and the Dead. I'm into the last few Sam Raimi films by this point and yes, I've seen this before.

This one stars pretty much everyone that was anyone in the early 1990s including a pretty young Leonardo DiCaprio. It also stars Gene Hackman, Sharon Stone, and Russell Crowe, to make a few.

The story follows a quickdraw contest in a Western town run by Hackman's character. Hackman is the town bully and it shows. Leonardo DiCaprio plays his son. Stone and Crowe each have pasts that tie in with Hackman.

There is definitely some Sam Raimi flair here and there. It did translate to a Western fairly well. To be clear, I base my Sam Raimi films upon Raimi's stylings from The Evil Dead series. In comparing this, there are several scenes that lean heavily on his unique style.

My problem isn't with the acting or the story, but the pacing. The first half moves along pretty steadily. Then there is a period before the end that I got to where I just didn't care anymore. The different gunfights went on too long with characters I hadn't built a connection to. Then the conclusion does a good job of wrapping things up.

I will recommend this film but let it be known that I'm not usually a fan of Westerns. It's got enough going for it that it's worth the viewing but it's a once every 20 years movie for me.

Bonus: Sharon Stone looks 🔥 in a nightdress.

Comments