Tank Girl (1995)

Today's movie of the day = Tank Girl. I have a small chat group that we talk about movies a lot and we got on to The Fifth Element the other day which made me bring up Tank Girl. Doing so made me want to watch it again as it's been awhile.

I'm glad I did. I still enjoy this film very much. It's got so much going for it. Lori Petty and Naomi Watts are great in it. The soundtrack is excellent. The practical effects and characters by Stan Winston are great. The sets and costuming are super unique. The pacing is solid and there are a lot of things that get done in a short amount of time. There are some great one-liners, some of which I've used for years.It's just a solid comic book movie done right.

For those who haven't seen it, it focuses on Tank Girl who, as you may expect by some point in the film, gets a tank. Hey and her mechanic sidekick, Jet, get into a series of things that need escaping from. In the process they run into the Rippers, a band of genetically mutated super soldiers. The bad guy is played by the great Malcolm McDowell.

"It's been swell but the swelling's gone down" is one of those lines I use with frequency.

Yes, I'll always recommend this film and it was a pleasant throwback to watch it again.

Comments