Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City (2021)

Today's third movie of the day = Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City. This one has a bunch of different folks including Robbie Amell (Upload), Kayak Scodelario (Crawl), Hannah John-Kamen (Ant-Man and the Wasp), Tom Hopper (The Umbrella Academy), and several more.

I went into this film with low expectations. I hadn't heard much positive about it. I kinda liked it. My main reason for it is that they actually got the characters names correct, the locations correct, and some of the background story correct. That's not to say I didn't have issues with some of it but I expected I would.

The story focuses on the initial outbreak of the T-Virus in Raccoon City. It's the beginning so it's slow to start but builds.

I like that Resident Evil series with Milla Jovovich. They are fun popcorn films and have little to do with the game series. This one at least attempted to get some of it right. From the RCPD Station to the correct sets for the mansion, it felt 'right'.

The story was average. The acting was pretty average. The CGI got distracting. The end boss, while being correct from the game, was pretty hokey. But, I enjoyed myself. If you're expecting deep thought or laughs in your zombie film, this isn't the one for you. If you can suspend disbelief, sometimes painfully so, it's a fun cheese fest.

I'll recommend it but with the caveat that if you've actually played the first couple of games from the video game series, you'll enjoy it more. If you know nothing about the T- or G- Viruses, you may have to have some explanation.

Comments