Reservoir Dogs (1992)

Today's movie of the day = Reservoir Dogs. I'm starting a Tarantino (directed) marathon. Back in the day I used to think he was all about cursing and violence but over the years I've come to realize he's a helluva director. There was one short movie before this one but it's not been released digitally so I skipped it.

I haven't seen this film in quite some time. My memory was mostly about the Mr. Pink scene with Steve Buscemi. Thankfully, this time I was paying attention and really dug it. The film still has an excessive amount of cursing and violence but I was paying particular attention to the structure and dialogue this time.

That being said, you can feel every ounce of Tarantino coming across in it. I've heard many an interview and seen his style for awhile now and the dialogue is basically how he talks. The structure is also distinctly his as it is not the Hollywood methodology.

One thing I really love about this one is that it is about a jewelry store heist but it doesn't ever show the actual heist. Instead it is the fallout from it going wrong. The way characters are introduced is solid and if you've never seen the film before it keeps you guessing.

It's hard to out act Harvey Keitel but Michael Madsen gives him a run for his money. Each of the characters get their moment to shine and each gets a strong scene where they get to push their acting chops. Well, except Mr. Blue and Mr. Brown, that is. :D

A strong start to my marathon. I do know that I rank Django Unchained and Inglorious Basterds at the top of my list but we'll see if any others move up the list by the time I'm done.

Yes, I'll recommend this film at essential film history viewing.

Comments