Pulp Fiction (1994)

Today's movie of the day = Pulp Fiction. I'm continuing my Tarantino marathon. I have seen this one before but only once.

I'm mostly positive on this one. I say mostly because the entirety of Bruce Willis' story is unnecessary. It didn't add anything to the narrative, IMHO. Everything else works well together and the film flows but when you get to the Willis portion, the solid pacing the film had comes to a complete standstill.

That being said, the rest of the movie is really good. It starts out strong and ends strong. John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson shine in their roles. Ving Thames, although his part is much smaller, was also a highlight. If I remember correctly, this was the platform for the return of Travolta as the last thing I remember seeing him in before this was Welcome Back, Kotter.

The story is difficult to convey in a spoiler-free way as it is kinda three stories in one. Two of them intersect but the third, with Willis, barely does. So much so that if you removed the entire section it would not only cut the film to a decent runtime, but it would make the flow a lot smoother. Of course, I'm no Tarantino so maybe there was a point to it, but I'm not feeling it.

It is fun going through these films years after I've seen them as I'm viewing them with more of an appreciation for the art. So far I prefer Reservoir Dogs. If it had left out Willis, I'd likely prefer this one.

Yes, I'll recommend this one. It's an important piece of pop culture. That, and it had so many great pieces of dialogue that are commonly referred to in everything from memes to other films.

Comments