Oz the Great and Powerful (2013)

Today's second movie of the day = Oz the Great and Powerful. The last off my Sam Raimi run and I kept the only film I'm giving negative marks for this spot on purpose. This one stars James Franco, Michelle Williams, Rachel Weisz, Mila Kunis, and Zach Braff.

Now, let me tell you, I do love Sam Raimi and his films, if you couldn't tell from my pretty positive reviews from the past week. I use that preface because this film was a steaming pile of poo. I had seen it before but blocked it from my memory and now I remember why.

One thing about Raimi is his use of practical effects. It's what gives his film that charm that I love. It's no secret that I'm almost never on board with CGI. It just looks so fake to me, more so than rubber prosthetics. The film took that away from Raimi and instead inserted some horrible CGI. In some scenes it looked like they were having a Zoom call with the green screen behind them.

I'm also going to say that I only made it halfway through the film this time. Thankfully I only paid $1 for the code. To me, it's just bad. Bad writing, somewhat bad acting, and the CGI is so distracting I cringe. I couldn't do it. I couldn't force myself to finish the film again.

I'm not sure what happened with Sam Raimi. Maybe he saw that mountain of gold that was in the film and decided to claim some for his own. The ONLY good thing to come out of this is that he partnered with Disney which, in turn, has now given him Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

No, I will absolutely not recommend this film. I'd rather get a root canal than sit through it again.

Comments