Jackie Brown (1997)

Today's movie of the day = Jackie Brown. This is one of the very few Quentin Tarantino films I had not seen. I think the runtime of over 2 1/2 hours always stopped me. This movie could also have the title 'Buy Kangol Hats' (which I'm not so concerned about as I love my two Kangol hats)!

This one I'm mixed on. It's based on an Elmore Leonard novel so right off the bat I should like it. I've enjoyed most of his novels to film translations. The thing is, the pacing is so slow that there are scenes that could be edited by at least five minutes and still get the point across. Of course, Tarantino is known for his verbosity.

The story is basically a heist film, in so many ways. Jackie Brown is stuck in a low-paying career and is trying to find a way out. In the process she puts together a very convoluted way to make money. In the film, her character is easily the most compelling. I also like the bail bondsman (I only know him from Breaking Bad). Pam Grier did a great job in her role.

I said before that I'm mixed on my review. On one hand, I like the way the puzzle pieces came together. On the other, it really could have been edited down to a 1 hour and 45 minute film and kept the main story while tightening it up. (P.S. it is rare I give passes for films over two hours).

I'm pretty much right in the center with this one. I'll recommend it but recognize there are far better Tarantino films to watch before diving into this one.

Comments