Evil Dead 2 (1987)

Today's movie of the day = Evil Dead 2. I'm continuing a quick trip down memory lane with Sam Raimi films.

As with The Evil Dead, this one holds up just fine. Sure, there are fairly crude practical effects but I'll still take them over CGI almost any day of the week.. There is something about the campiness that makes it endearing to me. Plus, for the time, there were some pretty solid ones in there.

I've always said that The Evil Dead was more of a straight horror where Evil Dead 2 had some of that horror but started in with the comedy as well. (By the time we get to Army of Darkness it's pretty much all comedy). They have the right guy in the role, with Bruce Campbell, however, as he's a master of slapstick. He's a knucklehead but a fun one.

The thing I always forget is why Ash comes back to the cabin. More importantly, who his new girlfriend is and why he would bring her there. I found the answer which has to do with the way the movie ends. It's a little lazy, but it at least answered the question for me.

Yes, I'll always recommend this series as they are a lot of fun. Each has goodness in their own way. For horror, go the first one. For horror and a little comedy, go the second. For comedy, hi the third. All are fun and you can continue Ash's adventures in the Ash vs. Evil Dead series which is excellent in its own right.

Comments