Dual (2022)

Today's movie of the day = Dual. It features Karen Gillan and a small role for Aaron Paul. It's now on AMC+ for streaming.

The story is about a little bit in the future where human cloning is pretty much perfected. In about an hour they can completely clone you. This, however, is an option only for those who are dying. As you can guess, Gillan's character is dying and she chooses to get cloned so her boyfriend and mother don't have to grieve as much.

The concept is pretty silly but it sorta worked. I do have some issues with the film, however. First, Gillan's monotone voice (and most everyone's monotone voices for that matter) was boring. It seemed like she was just doing it for a paycheck and didn't put any effort into it. The other issue is the ending. It just...stopped. When I saw Written and Directed By, I was confused as it felt like there was no lead up to it being done.

I understand what happened. I get it. The ending was just a complete letdown for me. I felt that the writers just gave up in the eleventh hour. The rest of the film, while being silly (like I mentioned), at least had some things going for it. Then the end was just...meh.

I won't really recommend this one. If they stuck the landing I'd be much more inclined to do so, but they didn't. The ending just makes it a one-and-done film in my book.

Comments