Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022)

Today's second movie of the day = Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Obviously I'm going to go see it as soon as possible. If it's got MCU attached to it, we'll be seeing it. Here is the spoiler-free review.

It was pretty good. I am glad I watched the first Doctor Strange film again before this one. It wasn't 100% necessary but there were little things here and there that added to the experience. If I knew what was coming in this one I might have rewatched Wandavision as well. Again, not 100% necessary but it would add some to MoM.

There were some points where this sorta felt like two different films. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as the pacing was pretty good. It was just over two hours and it didn't feel like it. It did feel like it was almost over and it was then another fifteen minutes, however.

The story is after the events of Spider-Man: No Way Home but it's barely referenced. It's also after the events of Wandavision which is important to the story. (P.S. Wandavision is my favorite Disney+ MCU series so far and is well worth the viewing). It also introduced a main character I had absolutely no idea about but they did a good job introducing them. I'm not sure if we'll see this character again in the future but if so, it could be interesting.

There was a moment, mid-film, in which my geek alert was at level ten but it seemed like I was the only one in the theater that felt it. There were also little things littered throughout the film that were for the geeks like me so I had a full appreciation of them.

There was one derpy CGI effect that drove me crazy.

The final third of the film is full Sam Raimi. I absolutely adored it as it was a throwback to his origins and it fit well in the film. I'll also give massive props to the second end-credit scene!

Overall it was an enjoyable film. Not all of the MCU properties can be as massive as Spider-man: No Way Home or the Avengers films but a (mostly) standalone, it was well worth it. There are both a mid-credit and end-credit scene, FYI. The first one I had to look up but the second one was epic!

Yes, I'll recommend this one. It's a fun one and gives full geek recognition!

Comments