Army of Darkness (1992)

Today's movie of the day = Army of Darkness. I'm continuing my Sam Raimi marathon. This was the film that introduced me to the Evil Dead franchise so I'm grateful for it. I remember seeing it at the Chapel Hills Mall back when the theater was on the other side across from the K-mart.

As I've mentioned the past two days, this one is the comedy of the trilogy. Ash gets full rein and Bruce Campbell gets to shine even more than usual. One of the great things about this film is the sheer amount of quotable material. I find myself quoting this one a lot in the span of a normal day.

This one follows the events at the end of Evil Dead 2 as Ash goes back to the 1300s to fight the Deadites. He also has to deal with 'primitive' locals in England. He has to find the Necronomicon so he can get back to modern day. Hijinks ensue.

I still love this one and have seen it many times. There is just so much fun going for it. Plus it's got a massive skeleton and demon army which, while crude in makeup, does have some great stop motion harkening back to Ray Harryhausen who I adore.

Yes, I'll recommend this, as expected. There is usually a split camp on who likes which of the trilogy the most but I like all three in their own right so I don't have a winner. (But this one is the most quotable!)

Comments