Wolf Creek Season One Review (2016)

So because of the two Wolf Creek films, I was vested in the character of Mick, played by John Jarratt. There is just something about the creep factor (not to be confused with creepiness) of the character that Jarratt brings to the role that he's worth watching. Wolf Creek 2 made it into my top ten Australian films.

Now, take into account that this was a 10-part series made for TV do they really had to tame it down a bunch. I found it pretty humorous that they should show a little bit of gore and brutality but couldn't say the eff word (bleeped out).

Now, I did like the series, I'll start by saying that. It did capture much of what made the movies entertaining. That and Jarratt nailed the character, as always. There is just something about his perverted grunt that gives Mick his creep factor. There is even just a simple use of the word 'yum' which makes you cringe.

I do, however, have some complaints. The biggest being the length of the series. They set up the conflict early in the first episode, which is good. It gave Lucy Fry, who plays Eve, purpose and drives the narrative. HOWEVER, it takes forever for any payoff. Yes, we need to see her character grow but it could have been edited down to six episodes for a much tighter cut. There are scenes that are five to ten minutes long that could easily be done in one or two.

My other big complaint is that they have Jarratt there for the show but for the entire ten episodes, he's maybe in it for an hour or less. He's what drives the story, he should have been more of a focus.

Fry did a great job in the role. She held her own against this massive antagonist. I do, however, have some complaints about her character as well. She tends to get herself into trouble a lot and it is only by luck that she escapes several bad situations. If she had just been careful and observant, she'd never have gotten into those scrapes.

I do have other minor complaints but the core of the review is that, even with my concerns, it was an entertaining season. I'm glad iTunes had it for me to get. I'll jump right into season two here soon. And I'm hoping that Wolf Creek 3 is actually happening!

P.S. It looks like season two fixes that length of series problem as it is only six episodes. (I just looked it up)

P.S.S. I didn't realize that Jarratt is almost 70-years old!

Comments