The Power of the Dog (2021)

Today's movie of the day = The Power of the Dog. It stars Benedict Cumberbatch, Jesse Plemons, and Kirsten Dunst.

The story is about two brothers and their ranch. One of the brothers gets married and the other brother doesn't like it one bit. I can't reveal too much more than that without providing spoilers.

This was an interesting one. I was starting to think, by about 2/3 through, that I wouldn't like it. Then the final act came into play and I started putting the puzzle together. It was a slow burn to get there but the result was worth it.

Apparently there is a slightly different alternate ending which I would have liked a bit more as it provided a more concrete conclusion. Instead I was left with the need to look up the title of the film. (Don't skip ahead, just watch it and then look it up as there are a lot of spoilers out there).

The acting was solid and the story ended up being good. I do find it funny that Jesse Plemmons character disappeared for a good half of the film. I will say, however, that one facet of the film didn't need to be so intently focused on as, in the big picture, it only had a little bearing on the end result.

Yes, I'll recommend this one. The way things play out makes the entire film worth it.

Comments