The Card Counter (2021)

Today's movie of the day = The Card Counter. I went into this one blind. I chose it because I'm loving Oscar Isaac in Moon Knight so I figured I'd give it a shot.

This is a hard movie to categorize. After viewing it I wasn't really sure if I liked it or not. I didn't quite 'get' the message without an explanation after I watched it. So I checked out a YouTube video explaining it and it makes a lot more sense which, in turn, gives me an appreciation for the film.

Oscar Isaac did great in his role. The background characters were more just kinda occupying space. I didn't feel any connection between the characters which is partially the point so I think it was purposeful in that manner.

The story is about an ex-soldier who served in Abu Ghraib as an interrogator. After serving time in military prison he puts his skill with cards to the test and wins as he counts them. He then meets a young man who is on a mission and Isaac's character chooses to help him.

It's an interesting movie. That clarification was necessary for me because after immediately watching the film I was somewhat dumbfounded. It's one of those that requires some introspection in regards to the message.

I will recommend it but it is more of a niche film. There was enough going for it that it is worth the viewing.

Comments