The Batman (2022)

Today's movie of the day = The Batman. I finally got around to it. Based on reviews I had seen, I was actually looking forward to it. And then I watched it.

Three hours of inexcusable. It did not have a strong enough story to be that long. I was constantly looking at how much time was left and that was at the halfway point! Not a good sign.

I will give kudos in giving Gotham a more worn and weathered look. It felt like one of the better representations of the city.

I mostly liked Selina Kyle. The actress did a pretty good job at her role. The Penguin seemed to have no purpose. He was just... there. Aside from one small plot point his presence was completely unnecessary. And casting Turturro as Falcone was an odd choice.

My biggest complaint in casting was Patterson. Every time he came on screen, either as Batman or Wayne, I wanted to slap his face. He is the emo-Batman. There is playing a character as broody and there is mopey, he chose the latter. He didn't bring anything to the role, IMHO.

One thing I did enjoy was the detective approach to the first half. It was more of CSI: Gotham but since that was how Batman actually got his start in the comics, it was good to see a return to that.

My favorite villain has always been The Riddler and they did a decent job with him. They chose a good unmasked actor to portray him as well. My thing is, I liked the portrayal of the character a lot more in Batman: Hush. There was a good Riddler/Batman scene of dialogue later in the film but you can tell they were trying to get the Batman/Joker dynamic from The Dark Knight and didn't quite stick the landing.

I'm not going to completely bury this take on Batman. It did have SOME good components. The thing is, the 'filler' just made the movies unnecessarily long so I lost interest in almost everything that was happening.

I'll recommend this to the die hard Batman fans but I'd just suggest going to watch The Dark Knight again so you can see Batman greatness instead of plain Jane average Batman.

The Dark Knight > Batman Begins > Batman > Batman Returns > The Batman

Comments