One Cut of the Dead (2017)

Today's movie = One Cut of the Dead. I went into this one completely blind outside of a single recommendation. I'm glad I took it as I'm in awe of it!

There is a lot to unpack here but I'll start by saying that this should be on any film class list for its sheer technical achievement. The first 36 minutes is amazing as it is a complete one-shot. But that's only the tip of the iceberg! It then goes meta and becomes a film inside a film inside a film. I'm making it sound more complicated than I want but it made me love the film.

The base story is that there is a zombie film being shot. It goes from being a film to an actual zombie attack. The director, wanting his actors to be more convincing, just goes with it. I can't say much more than this without giving away some major plot points. The big thing is that there is far more at work here and the viewer is given pieces along the way.

This isn't a typical zombie film by any stretch of the imagination. In reality, it's kinda more about the process of filmmaking, in a way. Oh, and it definitely had comedic LOL moments in it. It's NOT a horror film.

I'm definitely recommending this one. It gets a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and I can see why!

Comments