Charlie's Country (2013)

Today's second movie of the day = Charlie's Country. This is also the last in my Australian film marathon and I'm glad I ended with this one. It stars David Gulpili who I have come to love over the course of this marathon and was sad to hear he passed away last November from lung cancer.

The story on this film was written by him and started him. It is about Charlie, an Aboriginie in Western Australia. He lives a fairly simple life but is continually told what he can and can't do by the white police force. The thing is, the country was aboriginal land before the town was built and taken over by the whites.

This story covers Charlie as he attempts to maintain his ancestral ways. He has challenges along the way.

The film is not bright and flashy. It is sad to see what white 'culture' has brought the natives to. Reliance on cigarettes and alcohol as well as an illegal desire for marijuana.

From a historian's point of view, it shows the long-term results of British colonialism. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the similarities between the way the aborigines and the Native Americans were treated is mind blowing.

I bought this film blind. I knew I liked David Gulpili and his films and it was a recommended title from iTunes. I'm glad I did, however, as it is one of the more meaningful films I've watched in my marathon.

Yes, I will certainly recommend this film, especially from a historical aspect.

Comments