Candyman (2021)

Today's movie of the day = Candyman. Hey, maybe this could have fit in my Australian film category as it was filmed in Australia. :D

I've been wanting to see this one pretty much since it came out but I was finally able to hunker down and watch it. I was always a fan of the franchise and it's good to see it getting a restart. I say restart as it's not really a reboot as much as bringing back the Candyman.

There was some great camera work and lighting to make it nice and creepy. Of course, the use of mirrors added to this and with the ability to make imagery seamlessly fold into the scene, it gave a couple of really creepy moments.

I liked how they brought him back. I do have two minor complaints about backstory in regards to two plot points but they are relatively minor. They didn't interrupt the flow of the film enough to take away my enjoyment. I was about to be upset about something but the last minute of the film fixed it for me.

Overall, if you're a fan of horror, go back and watch the first two (the third one isn't really referenced in this film so is not necessary). Even if you haven't seen any of them before you should at least have some ability to jump right into this one with little problem. If you have seen the originals, however, it adds extra layers to this film.

As a Candyman fan I'll definitely recommend it. Even as a horror film I'll recommend it. It helps to have some knowledge of events from the 1992 film though.

Comments