Australian Film Marathon Wrap-Up

With the end of the Australian film marathon, I have some feedback on the entirety of the list.

I left off the Mad Max film as I watched them recently. I also left off Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge for the same reason. I left off Romeo and Juliet as it didn't seem to fit the category as well.

Some that really stood out to me that I had not seen before were: The Nightingale, Chopper, The Dressmaker, Storm Boy, The Suicide Theory, The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Muriel's Wedding, Breaker Morant, Gold, Rams, Wolf Creek 2, and finally, Charlie's Country.

Kangaroos are not the friend of Australia filmmakers as SO many of these films had killing, maiming, or dead kangaroos.

Flies are EVERYWHERE in Australia. Lots and lots of flies!

Seeing these films made me interested in writing a book or comparison between Native Americans and the Aborigines. Both have similar experiences with colonialism. On a side note, I am more interested in studying Australian history now. I have learned a lot more about the Stolen Generation, especially between Rabbit-Proof Fence, The Sapphires, and Australia (each of which talks about them at the beginning of the film). It's also interesting to see the relationship

Australian actors in the majority of these films include: Eric Bana, John Jarratt, Sam Neill, Nicole Kidman, Heath Ledger, David Gulpilil, Bryan Brown, Ben Mendelsohn, and David Wenham. Now that I look at this list, outside of Nicole Kidman, what female Australian actors have recurring roles in Australian films?

Sometimes Australians have an odd sense of humor. For example, I enjoyed Welcome to Woop Woop but it was very weird.

Overall, I enjoyed this marathon. Matt Dyson (Australian Survivor) got me started on it and it was only supposed to be about ten films but it ended up being 47 when all was said and done. I gained an appreciation for Australian film (which I had some of before with Mad Max and Baz Luhrmann) but and even deeper look into the continent. Now I want to visit more than ever. I want to see the Wolfe Creek Meteorite Crater. I want to see the Northern Territories. I want to see the Never Never. I want to go up and down the east coast. So much to do and see. Truly, if I could work at the university of Queensland or down in Adelaide, I'd be happy. So much cool stuff I'd love to experience but, as I'm down a career here in a few more weeks, it's not going to happen anytime soon. Maybe Jericho Malabonga can get me a first class spot on an international flight and then all of my Australian Survivor friends can show me around! :) I need a rich benefactor! HA!

Watched:

Chopper

Two Hands

Romper Stomper

The Castle

Wolf Creek

The Dry

Rams

Strictly Ballroom

The Dish

Red Dog

Wolf Creek 2

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

Balibo

Rogue

Quigley Down Under

Gallipoli

The Nightingale

Snowtown (most of it)

The Babadook

Animal Kingdom

Breaker Morant

Muriel’s Wedding

Looking for Alibrandi (most of it)

Lantana (watched about half of it)

Welcome to Woop Woop

The Boys (1998)

The Big Steal

Lion

Next of Kin (1982)

Walkabout

Dead Calm

Gold

Wake in Fright

Hotel Mumbai

Storm Boy

Ride Like a Girl

Road Games

Crocodile Dundee

The Dressmaker

The Suicide Theory

Candy

Bad Boy Bubby (about half of it)

Rabbit-Proof Fence

The Sapphires

Australia

Picnic at Hanging Rock

Charlie's Country

Comments