The Sapphires (2012)

Today's movie of the day = The Sapphires. @jimmyskurniawan added this to my Australian film list at the eleventh hour so I had to watch. :)

Pretty good film. Not great, not bad. It is about four aboriginie girls in the late 1960s who become a band. The manager, played by Chris O'Dowd (who was an odd choice of casting) brings them to Vietnam to sing for the troops.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the parallels between United States and Australian history at this time are very similar. Racism against blacks/aboriginies was at a peak. In the case of the aboriginies, fair-skinned children were ripped from their homes, by the government, to be conditioned to be 'white'.

The reason I only give this film a pretty good, instead of a higher rating, is because they seemed to rush it. There were more places that emotional connection could have taken place but they blew by then so fast I didn't feel as vested in the characters.

That being said, yes, I'll recommend this one with no problem as it was a good film and good story. The post-film real life connection was interesting, particularly in response to the little boy.

Comments