The Dressmaker (2015)

Today's movie of the day = The Dressmaker. Another Australian film as I start to wind down my last on my list. Apparently I saved a great one for the end! I knew nothing about the content or the book before viewing this film.

I really enjoyed this one. It had tones of the Coen Brothers, Christopher Guest, and is very Shakespearean. There were some things that happened that I had no clue leading up to them.

This one stars Kate Winslet, Liam Hemsworth, and Hugo Weaving. Kate Winslet did great in the role of the Dressmaker.

The general story is that a woman returns to her hometown many years after being sent away at the age of ten for a suspected murder. She returns to this small Australian town as a successful dressmaker and seamstress. From there, she was one of the few who ever left the town so most everyone is still around, including her senile mother.

This one is hard to nail down into any category as it had comedic, mystery, and drama elements. There is also something that happens that was a bit of a jaw-dropping moment to me.

I'm rating this one highly on my Australian film list. I finished watching about two hours ago and it's still stuck in my head which is a good thing. It almost makes me want to read the book. Oh, and Hugo Weaving's character was great!

Yes, I'll definitely recommend this one.

Comments