Next of Kin (1982)

Today's movie of the day = Next of Kin (1982). This was the next in my Australian film list.. Down to thirteen left on that list.

This one starred a young John Jarratt, aka Mick from Wolf Creek. I didn't recognize any of the other actors. Being an older Australian film I can see why.

This one was a very slow burn. It took forever to get to the point. Then it plays out in the last fifteen minutes or so. The problem for me is that it took so long to get there that I didn't care anymore.

The story is about a young woman who inherits the family house which is used as a nursing home. She starts reading her mother's diaries and strange things start happening.

I didn't 100% understand the motives behind the twist. Either it wasn't clearly explained or I missed it because I was too bored with the slow burn. It seems to come out of left field and not in a 'surprise' kinda way but a 'huh?' kinda way.

I can see the appeal of it, as it fits fairly well in 1980s 'horror' films. I just didn't quite like it enough to consider it that great. That and I laughed because the movie poster touts the composer as a key draw but the music was bad. (It looks like a German composer)

Overall I'd say to skip this one. If you want to see for yourself though, it's on AMC+.

Comments