Dead Calm (1989)

Today's movie of the day = Dead Calm. Continuing my Aussie film marathon. I'd seen this one before but it's been forever.

A funny thing to me is that the film had two casting directors but only eleven people and really only three actors!

Seeing this one before I knew what to expect. I forgot that Billy Zane was actually good in this one. (I'm not usually a big Zane fan). I also laughed to myself that this was the follow up to The Hunt for Red October as Sam Neill played a naval officer who was returning home after being at sea.

There was a pretty silly thing about this film. It starts off with a car accident where a child is launched out of a car but the silly thing is how it had zero impact on the story. The only thing it showed is that she was on sedatives and the death is not brought up again.

Another unusual choice is that she has sex with the bad guy to keep him calm. It's not that it couldn't happen but she didn't really seem to care much, one way or another. There was no emotional trauma to it.

Overall it was an entertaining film. Nothing too exciting but good enough for a viewing. Based on this I'll recommend it.

P.S. this was can when Nicole Kidman was still cute and hadn't had an abundance of plastic surgery to make her look freakish.

Comments