Crocodile Dundee (1986)

Today's movie of the day = "Crocodile" Dundee. I hadn't seen this one in a long time but it has to be a part of my Aussie movie marathon.

I think this is one of those films I remember being better than it is. In this viewing I waited an entire film for something to happen. It didn't. It's a fish out of water tale but the joke runs flat pretty early on. I was actually far more vested in the characters when they were in Australia which was only for the first thirty minutes or so of the film.

I did not realize that the story was actually written by Paul Hogan. There are a few chuckle moments but there are far too many problems to make it entertaining. There is also a major homophobia which is played up for a laugh but is cringe worthy.

I almost bought the other two films the other week but now I'm glad I didn't. It's one of those memories of a few good lines and thinking it was better than it was. The knife line is still classic (and used in Wolf Creek for a laugh) but it isn't enough to save the film.

If you've never seen it, it might be good for the pop culture reference but I can't recommend this one anymore. Ask me thirty years ago and sure. Ask me now and no way.

Comments