Australia (2008)

Today's movie of the day = Australia. It's directed by one of my favorites, Baz Luhrman. This movie stars every Australian actor with a couple of exceptions.

I had seen this movie before. This was at the height of Luhrman's popularity. Thing is, this movie didn't know what it wanted to be. It basically pieced together three films into one without that being the intent. I had hoped that my first viewing was maybe just a bad day but nope, it still drops the ball. It almost seems like there are three different writers and a couple of different directors.

The first act is good. It uses the visuals and music that I like Luhrman for. However, where the film should end, it keeps going and going and it seems that it was forced. It went on for almost another hour and a half after it should have ended!

The most motivating characters are the half-caste boy and his grandfather. I'm a fan of David Gulpili (and will be watching another of his films in a couple of days to finish off my marathon). The boy did a great job as well. It's when we start losing story about them that the film starts losing the plot

Overall I really want to like this film. If it were just the first act I would. The rest of the film, however, just doesn't do it for me. I got so bored with most of it. I did get a little more out of it this time as I now recognize locations, particularly in the Northwest Territory. When they are confronted by the Never Never, I knew exactly what that meant.

In the first five minutes of the film you see the majority of major Australian actors. I was hoping for John Jarratt and was disappointed...until the last five minutes where he showed up! Good old Mick came to town! HA!

I will give a 'sorta' recommend on this one. Get to the point where the primary mission is done and call it quits. It makes for a better movie that way. I can't recommend the second half of the film, however. Take that for what it is. It's kinda like A.I. Artificial Intelligence in that way. Get to the blue fairy and end it there and you have a great film. :)

Comments