The Babadook (2014)

Today's movie of the day = The Babadook. This one was directed by Jennifer Kent who also directed The Nightingale which I really liked. I'm continuing my Australian film journey with this one.

I MOSTLY liked this one. It took a lot of elements from other films including The Shining, Ju-On (The Grudge), The Exorcist, and even Home Alone. Even the main actress reminded me of Sissy Spacek in Carrie. As you can see, it had some similarities to these big titles.

The good thing about it is that it was, however, a thing of its own as well. It has a high level of creep factor and the Babadook, while not really seen 100% on screen, was one freaky dude. A lot of it has to do with the book that mysteriously shows up (but is never explained as to why).

I love good horror and the majority of this one fit that category. I say majority because I felt a little let down by the last ten minutes. The buildup to the end was intense and escalated at a good pace over the course of the film and then it just kinda...ends. I can see what the director was going for but I felt I needed something more.

That being said, this is a solid entry into my horror collection and I'll definitely pick it up for my collection for another viewing at a later date.

Yes, I'll recommend this one to my fellow horror or thriller friends. It's well worth the time, even if the ending fell a little flat for me.

Comments