The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)

Today's movie of the day = The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. I'm continuing my Australian film marathon. This is one I've meant to watch for a long time but just never got around to. It's not the content, it's just that it's not in my collection so I don't think of it often.

Overall it was a good film. You can see how it influenced To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar. It was fun seeing Hugo Weaving, Guy Pierce, and Terrence Stamp in very different roles. Now I'm thinking of General Zod with a wig and dress. :D

Speaking of Stamp, he stole the show as Bernadette, IMHO. Her character was the most compelling. Had they introduced Hugo Weaving's backstory a little earlier it might have been his, but Stamp crushed it.

I enjoyed it. If not a film I have to rush back to see anytime soon but I'm glad I've seen it. It had a lot of great lines that I'm sure I'll refer to in the future. All-in-all it's a well done road trip / buddy film.

P.S. With all of these Aussie films I've been watching lately it makes it seem like the continent is nothing but desert and one bar towns. That and between Wolf Creek 2 and this film, I've seen enough dead kangaroos to not need to see any more anytime in the near future.

Yes, I will recommend this film. It had a lot of great characters and a good look into LGBTQ+ issues with prejudice and hate while still having a lot of fun moments along the way.

Comments