Animal Kingdom (2010)

Today's movie of the day = Animal Kingdom. I'm still on my Australian films plan and have a couple of weeks left.

This was a mixed bag for me. On one hand the story about the main family was compelling and interesting. On the other, it was so slow-paced that I got kinda bored waiting for the ending. It's a shame because I really wanted to like this one more but it just fell more into a clock watching film for me. I'm ok with a slow burn but there is too slow, as well.

The story is about a teen who's mom dies from a heroin overdose and he goes to live with his grandmother. His adoptive family there are all criminals in different ways. Things amp up over the course of the film but it's hard explaining how without giving spoilers, which I do my best not to do.

I think another thing is that there isn't much in the way of emotion from the actors. I like several of them but they all did the stone-faced murmur through the film and it didn't help the slow pace.

I give it some grief here but the story is generally interesting. One thing, however, is that the ending was a big duh to me and it was supposed to shock the viewer but I saw it coming a mile away.

I'm mixed on giving a recommendation for this one. The story is interesting but a lot of other stuff drags it down. I'll recommend it but it's not one you have to rush to see. It's more one of those films where are in the mood for a crime drama and want to watch something you haven't seen before.

Comments