The Castle (1997)

Today's movie of the day = The Castle. I'm continuing my Australian film marathon that @matt_dyson_ recommended for me. Fortunately, in this one I was already well aware of it from seeing it years ago. Granted, the first time i watched it was because @anthonysimcoe was in it and I was (and am) a HUGE fan of Farscape. It is funny seeing him without makeup and so young. :)

I must say that I liked this viewing even more than the first. The first time I watched it it left an impression on me but this time I had a much higher enjoyment of it. Michael Caron plays the father and patriarch of a family. In viewing it this time I wonder if Jason Sudekis got any inspiration for Ted Lasso from this character. Both are very optimistic and easily lovable.

The story centers on a family who live directly next to the airport. The airline is expanding and using that equivalent of eminent domain to buy their house as they expand. The father then chooses to fight it in court.

I think where I ended up liking it more this time was in the dialogue. Since I've become much more connected to all things Australian, both through one of my best mates, @jimmyskurniawan and through Australian Survivor and Amazing Race, I've had a love of the country and would love to visit someday. One of my favorite phrases from this one was "They're dreamin'"

This one is an endearing and fun film and yes, I'd certainly recommend it. I need to watch it more often.

Comments