Red Dog (2011)

Today's movie of the day = Red Dog. This one is loosely based on a true story of a dog that ended up traveling all over Australia and making friends along the way. He's become a legend in Australia.

@jimmyskurniawan recommended this one to me in my continued Australian film marathon.

It reminded me a little of Paulie in a way. It was all about a life of an animal and the adventures along the way. We also have a sorta similar true life story over here in the United States. In our case it was a dog named Owney who traveled our country.

This story was about a mining town in Western Australia which basically adopts Red Dog. Each tell their stories of how Red Dog entered their lives and hearts. They call the dog a common dog because the entire town treats him like one of their own.

I did read the story of the true dog afterwards and it just makes me hate humans all the more. The rest, however, about him traveling, was a fun story. He would actually sit in the middle of the road facing oncoming cars until they stopped and then he'd hitchhike across the country (mostly the west coast). The story of him traveling to China was not true, according to the article I read.

It was a good story and had a lot of fun stories. It stars Josh Lucas (the Wish dot com version of Matthew McConaughey), Rachael Taylor (Trish from Jessica Jones), and Noah Taylor (who has been in everything but played Hitler in Preacher).

I will recommend this film but if you're like me, bring some tissues is all I'm going to say.

Comments