Antlers (2021)

Today's movie of the day = Antlers. I went into this one completely blind. They main reason I picked it up is it got decent reviews and was produced by the one and only Guillermo del Toro.

This one reminded me of the horrible HBO series, The Outsider. I kept expecting that one to get better and it got worse as it went along. This one kinda followed the same pattern.

I didn't know the main creature was supposed to be the Wendigo until I finished the film and saw a description in the extras. That being said, the two minutes we actually got to see the creature on screen were pretty awesome. The design on it was excellent, I just wish we'd have gotten to see more of it.

My complaint is that I didn't care about any of the people. Apparently the director told them they were never allowed to display any emotion at all. Seriously. Not a single emotion!

The other thing is that it seems like we're missing some story here. The introduction to the film gives a minute blurb about the purpose but I never quite got why the Wendigo made an appearance. The closest we get to a reason is a description from one of the characters but even that was kinda lame

I really wanted to like this one more. It's still better than a lot of horror movies these days but the big reveal comes far too late and by then I didn't care. I also kept wanting the sheriff to call in to other state police to help as it was clear the town was having a major problem.

Oh, and there is a whole backstory for the Keri Russell character which had absolutely no bearing on the film whatsoever! Seriously! If you took it out it would have made zero difference to the film!

I can save you some time. Watch the last five minutes of the film and you should be good.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, there is no way that person is going to take on the creature with a stick!

I was going into this thinking I would hesitantly recommend it but now that I've fleshed out the problems I'd say to skip it instead.

Comments