The Throne of Blood (1957)

Today's movie of the day = The Throne of Blood. It is Kurosawa's interpretation of Macbeth. As can be expected, Mifune was his right hand man

This one had its moments. One thing I've come to realize with Kurosawa is that he is not one for editing. Sometimes scenes go on for an unnecessarily long period of time. An example would be where the two main characters are riding through a mysterious forest in the fog. It takes about five minutes for them to get to their destination with no dialogue then entire time. It just feels like sometimes he could tighten up some scenes to improve the flow.

That being said, I think the moral of this story is never pay attention to petty women. The main character was a decent person until his wife got into his head. Once that happened, her was pretty much doomed!

Overall it was a good story but I didn't like it as much as other Kurosawa films. I vaguely remember Macbeth and I can set parallels but it was just the pacing that made it seem like it went on for far too long.

I'll still recommend it though. :)

Comments