Spirited Away (2001)

Today's movie of the day = Spirited Away. I haven't seen this one in a long time. It is one of the more critically received Miyazaki films and I believe it was up for an Academy Award or two.

I still enjoy it. The story is strange and unusual but in a fantasy/adventure kind of way. It has overtones of The Neverending Story and not just because of the dragon.

One of the things I really loved about it is that it is so far detached from the 'norm' that it all feels new and unique. I'm sure there are probably some Japanese mythologies written in but I am unfamiliar with them if there are.

This one introduced us to No Face, as well, who is one of the most recognizable images in Miyazaki films. Even if you don't know his character, you've likely seen a picture of him.

It is very difficult ranking this one against the others. As a fantasy/adventure, it gets high marks. However, against other Miyazaki it all comes down to how it fits into the grand scheme. It is just as creative and fresh as the other films but it's strangeness also makes it a more confusing film overall.

Yes, I'll recommend it, as always. Just be aware that it is very non-traditional and if that scares you, you might have a hard time.

Comments