Ponyo (2008)

Today's movie of the day = Ponyo. Almost done with my Miyazaki marathon. I think this might be the first of the Miyazaki films after Disney acquired the properties.

This one is my least favorite of the films. Where the rest are very close to each other on the ratings, this one can easily be put last. I first watched it last year and felt the same thing. There is a very different feel to this one but I am not 100% sure how to quantify it. There is just something 'off' to where it is nowhere near the caliber of the other films.

I think one of the big things is I don't connect with the characters as much. I think the intended audience was children but even then it doesn't reach the level of adventure or a fantastical world like the other films.

If I had watched this one on its own I might have liked it more but even then I remember watching this with Rook last year and feeling underwhelmed.

This is likely the only Miyazaki film I will not recommend as it doesn't capture his genius. If you're looking at the entire catalogue of films, this one is easy to pass on.

Comments