Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)

Today's movie of the day = Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. I'm starting the theme this month with Miyazaki films and will move on to Kurosawa films later.

I had not seen this one before. (There are a few Miyazaki films I've always meant to watch but never got around to). I didn't realize until AFTER I watched it that I could have watched it with the subtitles but I watched this one dubbed (which I don't normally do).

The story was interesting. It got a little convoluted in the middle but not enough to screw up the storytelling. One thing about Miyazaki and his films is that they are very different. His worlds are not very familiar to Western audiences. That being said, that's one reason I enjoy them so much.

This one was his first feature length film (he did a film for the Lupin series before this which I'm going to skip since I'm not familiar with that series). For a full, out of the gate film, he had quite the start. It was an interesting story and the main character was compelling.

The visual style of his films was here and it shows. It really shows that a two-hour animated film can look beautiful. I loved the Ohmu.

The only parts I wasn't so keen on were the interactions between tribes as their motivations didn't make much sense, particularly the ones with the giant warrior.

Overall a good start to my run. I do recommend pretty much any Miyazaki films if you're looking for something unique and beautiful.

P.S. now I know next time I can watch with subtitles, the best way to watch these films.

Comments