Hayao Miyazaki Films Ranked

So now that I've finished my Miyazaki film marathon, here are my rankings. There is a new first place, taking over for Howl's Moving Castle and it was a bit of a surprise as this was one I was never really super interested in. I can say it was an (almost) complete pleasure to watch these movies back to back. It really showed the genius of Miyazaki. There aren't films like this out there in the maintstream but he made them accessible. His imagination and range of unique worlds is pretty amazing. No two films are alike, yet (almost) all are amazing.

I am putting the stipulation on the list that The Wind Rises, to me, was a complete turn and I felt very let down by it. I watched almost all of the films in the original Japanese with subbing except for Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds since, at that time, I didn't realize iTunes had the option. I also watched most of The Wind Rises dubbed as I had it downloaded to my laptop and the Japanese with subbing was off sync and not good (it probably would hve been fine watching on the TV). I have always been one who enjoys the subbing as I don't mind reading while watching.

I do highly recommend his films. You may not be used to the stylings, but the uniqueness of the catalogue is well worth your time.

Miyazaki Films Ranked

My Neighbor Totoro

Howl’s Moving Castle

Castle in the Sky

Spirited Away

Kiki’s Delivery Service

Princess Mononoke

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds

Porco Rosso

Ponyo

The Wind Rises

Comments