In the Loop (2009)

Today's second movie of the day = In the Loop. I didn't know about this film until it was recommended by a friend. There are a bunch of big named actors in it but Peter Capaldi stole the show with James Gandolfini in a close second. It's a satirical look at government and the war machine. I got heavy tones of Dr. Strangelove from it. It was all about the insanity that goes on behind the government curtain. To say I understood what was going on would be giving me a lot of credit. I didn't. There were parts where I thought I understood what was going on but they bounced around the story so much I never got a good sense of the narrative. I will say I loved the Peter Capaldi role, however. He was so funny and was definitely not a 'clean' person. His insults were the best! You can see a lot of repeated ideas and characters in Veep which came out three years later. Overall I somewhat enjoyed it. If I had a clue what was going on half of the time I think I would have enjoyed it more. That being said, if you understand politics or enjoyed Dr. Strangelove, I think you'll enjoy it. If not, go watch Dr. Strangelove instead. :)

Comments