In Bruges (2008)

Today's movie of the day = In Bruges. They should have just called this the prequel to Harry Potter as it had Mad Eye Moody, Graves, Fleur Delacour, and Voldemort. :)

I was a little confused after seeing it labeled as a comedy. It does have a few chuckles but I didn't get the comedy vibe as much. It felt like it was trying to be a Guy Ritchie film but I didn't have the same connection with the characters.

That's not saying I didn't enjoy it but if it came down to it I'd rather go watch Snatch or Get Shorty for the umpteenth time. The characters were OK but the story wasn't as strong, IMHO.

That being said, I am glad I saw it. It was worth the viewing and I was entertained. The acting was solid and the setting was pretty awesome (and makes me want to go to Bruges).

I think my biggest complaint is that we are meant to attach to Colin Farrell's character, Ray, but I didn't. I was much more of a fan of Ken. That and I wasn't keen on the ending.

Overall it's worth a viewing and I'll likely watch it again at some point but to label it as a comedy is a stretch. Yes, I'll recommend it, at the very least.

Comments