High Anxiety (1977)

Today's movie of the day = High Anxiety. It's a Mel Brooks film I had never really paid attention to before. It stars his usual cast of Cloris Leachman, Madeline Kahn, and Harvey Norman. It is a comedic homage to the films of Alfred Hitchcock.

It almost starts out like Airplane and has a Zucker Brother feel to it and you can see how they might have pulled some material from this film.

It was pretty silly in parts, as expected. It does feel constrained, though, due to the PG rating. It's reined in Mel Brooks, in most cases. There was a funny scene that dealt with censorship, at least.

It's not my favorite Mel Brooks film but it had some good LOL moments. It's good going back and seeing Brooks in his heyday. I was only six when this came out which partially explains how I missed it. The funny thing is, this would have been one of the most appropriate of his films to watch at a younger age! :)

Yes, I'll recommend it but also realized that I very much enjoy Mel Brooks' humor which is not for everyone.

Comments