Ad Astra (2019)

Today's movie of the day = Ad Astra. It's one of a barrage of space films that came out in a very short period of time to include Interstellar, First Man, Gravity, and more. We get it, Hollywood can now makes films with anti-gravity!

I'm really not sure what to think about this film. It's basically Apocalypse Now in space. A long journey that gets darker and darker (both figuratively and literally) as the film goes on. It is mostly Heart of Darkness again but Apocalypse Now did so much better off a job getting from point A to point B.

I watched a couple of explanation videos on YouTube afterwards and I get what they were going for but by the time act three came around, I just didn't care anymore. The end was pretty anticlimactic for me.

It was visually stunning in many scenes. The music was also solid. Brad Pitt was fantastic as always. It's just the message they were conveying was not new it original so I've seen it before. I didn't have any expectations, one way or another, of a different message but it was ok.

It's not a bad film, it just didn't stick the landing for me. I enjoyed two-thirds of it very much. Once we get to Mars, however, it just fizzled.

This is one of those films I'll recommend if you're looking for one to watch and have extra time to do so. Don't rush to see it but it is worthy of putting in the lexicon of knowledge of decent space films.

Now I want to go watch Apocalypse Now Redux again so I can remember how an ending should be!

Comments